Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Thanksgiving Blog... or how to make today seem funny instead of alienating and sad.

To be completely accurate I woke up this morning at 1:30. I went back to bed at 3:30, but since I (when left to my own devices take many small nap instead of sleeping 8 hrs.) I count !:30 as the beginning of my day. Well, I had a research proposal that was over due I had to write anyway, and I had slept all day Wednesday, so it all seemed logical at the time.
No firewood in the house meant I had to go into the woods and pull down more trees and drag them up to the house. I feel fortunate to have the woods behind my house that I do. I feel like pulling down the dead trees and burning them in my fire place has a double benefit: not only do I get heating fuel, but I clean the woods up a bit at the same time.
unfortunately I lost track of time.
I emerged from the woods at 1:00 (and I needed to be at Arrowhead Golf Course at 2:00) Still I somehow could not make myself rush. Passive aggressive behavior has been a specialty all my life.
I don't know when I got to the golf course, but no one mentioned I was late. I wandered around the parking lot until someone called me into the proshop. This is where my Step-mother's family where having their Thanksgiving.
My step-mother's family are all nice friendly people, but my dad was so quiet. It was a battle to get him to say even a word.  The quiet grim Finn. He just carries his burdenwithout letting anyone know how to help him. I suppose if he is anything like me, he has no faith anyone would. He thinks it's better to not ask for any help, than to ask and not receive any.
My step-mother has a lump in her breast. There has been blood on her bed sheets. This makes me wish I had been more generous about Ed when Mom passed. If I had maybe Dad would know how I want to be there for him if the same thing happens now.

4 comments:

  1. I'm like your father in terms of being quiet. Since the passing of my grandmother and grandfather (on seperate sides) I hate the holidays and prefer to be left alone. The unhinging of my family allowed for stupidity that I can't deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could heat my house just by going out back and dragging dead trees inside. Sounds like a pretty cheap way to live. Plus I love the type of heat that wood-stoves create, it just makes everything so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit that I'm jealous of your wood stove and/or fireplace.

    The holidays are an increasingly strange time for my family. All of my great-grandparents have passed, and my grandparents are no longer as mobile as they once were. At the same time, my brothers and I are growing older and forming lives and responsibilities outside of the genetic loop.

    On the brief subject of craft, some of your parentheticals seemed a bit out of place, especially your first one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to a golf course on Thanksgiving? Are they even open? Was it even for golfing? I think you would so well to expand on this part; easily the most intriguing detail.

    ReplyDelete