Friday, December 2, 2011

I will never forgive the pigs for selling Boxer to the knackers.

When we, (my sisters and I) were young both our parents read to us. Dad read us Tolkien and Poe; Mom read us (among other things) Animal Farm. This is where my love of Literature began.
When ever Mom would read to Emily Chris and I  she would have some sort of art supplies out for us to create with as we listened to the story. Ironically (for it's lack of creative input) we were working on paint-by-numbers while she read us Animal Farm. I remember the glass and chrome dinning room table, right by the window that looked out onto Salmon Creek (pronounced Crik of course). The paint pots were oils and the smell of turpentine filled the room.

i don't remember if I understood the story as a critique of communism at that time, but what I did know was that Boxer was not just a horse that gave everything he had and got hurt and was killed. Boxer was not even every horse whose life ended at the knackers yard. Boxer was everyone who tired and tired and gave everything they had and was caste aside when there was nothing left to give.
To this day I remember my disbelief as Orwell described the departing Knackers van with Boxer, loyal worker for greater causes calling to his friends. This was the beginning of something big in me. I believe I understood the world a little better. I did not enjoy what I learned about the world that day, but I did feel a little better prepared.

4 comments:

  1. I think I was close to tears when I was reading that part of Animal Farm for the first time. As sad as it is that scene does show the world in a realistic light (just without talking animals). It's an unfair world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have personally not read Animal Farm but remember being read to as a child some of the classics and not quite getting their undertone. Now looking back at some of them I was guarded by my innocence when I heard them the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think metaphors are particularly educational, but when you figure them out, they can be a lot of fun. Having a horse represent what happens to good people in a communist society is so goofy it's memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my favorite part was the beginning of this post. You talking about your childhood and parents reading to you. Yes it is a crik it will always be a crik. Now, my question for you is, what do you remember about you mothers emotion as she read to you. Obviously you reacted sharply but what kind of tone did your mother have? was it the same? was she cold as a stone not reflecting or showing her weakness?

    ReplyDelete